Most of my time, I like to have my
coffee alone, with no one barging in on my thoughts. For a minute in peace, I
can draw a mental list of all things good and bad in my life. That Thursday was
one of those times. I ordered my usual latte in a coffee shop bit far from my
campus, to avoid the usual faces.
It felt nice. Just to sit outside,
not worried about exchanging a hello to a classmate or acquaintance. I watched
the sun as it drowned in a sea of amber clouds and was happy to enjoy a clear weather
which was of course a rarity during monsoons in Bhubaneswar. It was the first
day in weeks when the roads didn't seem flooded and I could finally manage to
wear my new pair of loafers. Leaning over the glass table, I stole a look at
them. I was impressed with myself momentarily for finding such a pair at the
Monsoon Sale for straight fifty percent off. I smiled ear to ear and kept on
admiring my new collection.
A sudden thud on my table broke my
self-appreciation half way. Another cup of coffee found its place along with
mine. I looked up confused, only to find a tired regretful face staring back at
me. A tall woman dressed in formals stood in front of me and my coffee.
"All the tables are full. I was
hoping, since you are alone, I could borrow a chair." Her voice was cracked as her eyes narrated the tale of a faithless
day. She needed her coffee time more than me. I nodded my head approvingly and
slid my chair a little backwards since we were now sharing the same table.
"Thank you!" She sighed taking a sip.
"No issues." I mumbled picking up my cup from the table.
I watched her as she completed her
coffee in silence. She looked miserable. Her shirt a bit crumbled, dusty jacket
and an old black leather bag sitting on her lap. I wondered what struck her so
hard. Getting fired and a cheating boyfriend were the first thoughts that
crossed my mind.
I stared at her from the corner of
my eye. She asked for a paper napkin and gestured for a pen. The next second, she
started writing something on it. I wondered what she could be writing. Her
number, huh may be for me?
I realized I was more of gossip
monger when I was alone. So I scolded myself to mind my own business and
decided to leave before it got dark.
I could still see her standing at the counter,
scribbling something. And when she was done, she pinned the napkin on the
message board with all the other notes. I found it a bit strange. As she left,
I got up to clear my bill.
Searching for money inside the never
ending pouches of my bag, my eyes fell on the note she pinned.
"Today was a crappy day.
Actually the last couple of days have been the same. First my scooty gets
stolen, then I get kicked out as I couldn't keep up with my apartment rent and
today I didn’t get my dream job. Well, the only good thing that happened today
was a coffee at this place and the boy sitting in front of me.-AS"
I chuckle while reading it, not at
her constant luck with misery, but at her ability to look and think beyond it.
I walked out of the cafe, smiling unknowingly.
I too have been a part of things that
happens with bad luck. Almost everyone has. And such encounters do leave a mark
like every storm leaves a trail. But I believe that few storms are necessary in
our lives. To root out the unwanted and week thoughts cropping up in our minds.
To settle the dust that was clouding the vision. The trace that storms like
these will leave on our window panes, will eventually dry out in the sun. I
wish I could have told her that in person.
But I did a leave a note of mine
besides her on the board. It was like a story lost amongst hundreds of those
messages, an encounter that found a small place. Just to let her know that
there always be other survivors in the storm.
"Hey there 'AS'. I hope all
your troubles die down soon. And I am flattered by your remark. Thank you! -
'the boy sitting in front of you.' "



How your contact with stranger is your "secret love" ? and i am just curious, did you meet her after that ?
ReplyDelete"The Secret Love" is that feeling when you care and try to do something good for someone without their knowledge. Here, she had problem, she showed her humanity towards me through her message and I replied back in her way so that if she returned, she can get motivated from it. And no I didn't met her after that, but it's a small city, I guess one day I will !
DeleteIt is very rare to see people compliment a stranger. Like she did for you.
ReplyDeleteJeet is it a real one ..if yes i ll kill u ..if no ...it was wonderfull
ReplyDeleteYes, it is true! Prepare your weapons :P
DeleteYes, it is true! Prepare your weapons :P
Delete